Food & Food Safety

Food safety is regulated by inspecting food premises, investigating food complaints and food poisoning occurrences, distributing Food Handler Updates, registration of food premises, registering temporary food premises and following up food recalls. The Food Act & Regulations is the governing legislation along with the Food Standards Code.

Food Safety Newsletters

Mid-Murray Council produces and distributes a quarterly newsletter for all local food businesses.

This newsletter contains information regarding South Australian food laws, new food safety methods and standards to improve food handling and hygiene practices.

Click here to view the latest editions of our Food Safety Newsletters.

Inspections of Food Premises

Under the Food Act, all food premises must be registered with Council. These food premises are classified as either high, medium or low risk and are required to be inspected depending on their level of risk. For example a high risk food premise such as a hospital may need to be inspected every 6 months, a medium risk premise such as restaurant every 12 months and a low risk premise such as a church every 2 years. Council has 157 registered food premises and the Environmental Health Officer inspects these on a regular basis.

When inspecting a premise the Environmental Health Officer looks for the cleanliness of the premise, the suitability of the premises, the skills and knowledge of the food handlers and the receival and storage of food.

Temporary Food Premises

Thinking of having a sausage sizzle or food stall and selling to the public, then you will need to complete a Temporary Food Premises Form. You need to ensure that there are handwashing facilities available along with adequate wastewater disposal, temperature control and suitable storage for the food. Council's Environmental Health Officer will provide you with a copy of the approved/refused temporary food premises form along with any additional conditions.

If the event is to be held on Council land then a Special Event Application Form and a Stall Holder/Exhibitors Permit will need to be completed.

Food Safety Around the Home

Most cases of food poisoning occur within the household due to poor food handling skills or storage of potentially hazardous foods

Here are a few tips for good food safety around the home:

Free Food Safety Training - Are you ALERT?

Food Safety is your business. It is the responsibility of a Food Business to ensure that all food sold is safe and suitable.

This information package has been developed by qualified and experienced Environmental Health professionals and is equivalent in scope to a two-day consultant delivered course.

The interactive, logical and easy learning format will assist you and your staff to develop the skills and knowledge required to ensure safe food for your customers and to comply with your obligations under the Food Safety Standards for Australia and New Zealand.

Most sections include an interactive quiz.  Upon completion of the program, a training acknowledgement form can be printed and filed as part of your food safety records.

Click here to link to the I'm Alert online training program. 

Course Index
Minimum System Requirements


Mobile Food Vans Street Traders Permits

Mobile food van vendors are required to obtain a Street Traders Permit from Council prior to commencing trading.

Section 222(1) of the Local Government Act 1999 provides that “a person must not use a public road for business purposes unless authorised to do so by permit”.

An application form for either a Mobile Food Vendor Permit or Mobile Ice Cream Vendor Permit needs to completed and forwarded to Council for approval prior to commencing trading. 

Further information can be obtained by contacting Council’s Environmental Health Officer at the Cambrai office on 8564 6020.

Food Act & Regulations

Food Standards Code

Food Business Notification Form

Intention to Conduct a Temporary Food Premises(186 kb)

Special Event Permit(141 kb)

Stall Holder/Exhibitors Permit(38 kb)

Hand Wash Facilities(485 kb)

Consumer Recalls

Food Safety Index

Food Safety Information Council

The Use of Public Roads for Business Purposes (Mobile Food, Icecream Vendors & Roadside Trading)(46 kb)

Application for Mobile Food Vendor Permit(389 kb)

Application for Mobile Ice Cream Vendor Permit(403 kb)

All Correspondence

PO Box 28

Mannum South Australia 5238


Principal Office

49 Adelaide Road

Mannum South Australia

Telephone: (08) 8569 0100

Fax: (08) 8569 1931